Monday, October 7, 2013

School Days

Hello, everyone!

It’s been a couple weeks now since school has started here in Japan.  Now that I have settled in some more, I can share more information with you.



CLASSES

First off, at Toledo and other Universities, a class will count for credits depending on the hours of in class time you spend a week.  For example, history class is 3 credits, and it meets twice a week for about an hour and a half.  At Aichi University, and maybe other universities in Japan, classes are 1-2 credits, and usually meet only once a week.  So instead of doing Monday’s homework for Wednesday’s class, we are preparing it for the following week.

There is also one more small difference because I am an exchange student.  This semester we (the exchange students) are placed into Japanese studies classes.  That means we are studying grammar, conversation, composition, and history and culture.  Even though all the classes are separate and only meet once a week, all of the language classes are using the same book, so we have the chance to review and understand the material from different aspects.

SCHOOL LIFE

Thankfully, my apartment is close enough to school that I can ride my bike and it will only take 15 minutes.  There’s always people around, and even though the exchange student’s classes only go until 3pm, there are other classes in the evening.


I decided to join a circle. It’s not a cult thing, if that’s what you’re thinking! In Japan, clubs are called circles, and team sports are called clubs.  I was confused too at first, and I thought I should join a club, only to realize that they were the real deal.  I didn’t even play on a team back in Toledo, so there was no chance I could suddenly join one now.  On the other hand, circles are much more fun and you can join them freely.  I chose the school’s dance group, and we are now preparing for the school festival in November (kinda nervous! Haha)

COMMUNICATION

So, as exchange students in an otherwise homogeneous country/university, you can assume that we stick out.  In America there are already many different cultures present, so I think we take it for granted when a foreign student comes to our University.  Here, not everyone speaks English, and if they do they may be to shy to do so outright.  Fortunately, the school’s international studies department arranged welcome parties and “International Cafes” (similar to the events held by the International Student Association at UT) that allowed us to meet more Japanese students and become friends.  Of course, by joining the dance group I have made even more friends.  Sometimes, once they realize I am from America (and not France, or Germany) then they want to practice speaking English with me. In return, I am able to practice more of my Japanese too.

This is a very brief look at my ongoing study abroad experience.  There are still many topics that I have not yet touched on, so please, if there is anything specific you would like for me to mention (or research) let me know in the comments~


Until next time, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment