Saturday, December 14, 2013

STUDY ABROAD: WEEK 15

DECEMBER 8

Did nothing today but sleep, homework, and then sleep again.

DECEMBER 9

I mentioned before that the shoes I brought from the States, the black ones that I usually use for dance, have worn out: holes in the soles, and no more cushion. Even so, I still want to wear them a bit longer. That’s why I went to the hyaku-en shop today and bought some cheap shoe inserts. It’s just a simple cushion to line the bottom of my shoes, but it makes up for the lack of any cushion at the balls of me feet. Simple as it may be, it makes a difference. At least I can use these shoes until I find a new pair.

Sadly, today was the last International Cafe of the semester. Though exams are not until mid-January, soon we will have winter break, and once we return from back it will be time to prepare for the examinations. In other words, people will be too busy studying to come and hang out in the cafe. With that in mind, when the Cafe time ended we took the party back to the apartment for a nabe and tenpura party, courtesy of Rachael. I helped her buy groceries on the way home, but not from MaxValu. Instead, she showed me a little shop a block east of MaxValu which sells produce for significantly cheaper than any supermarket. This is because some of these items are bruised, or their sell-by date is approaching soon. That said, I think I might try to shop there for my fruits and veggies from now on.


DECEMBER 10

Yesterday, when I was at the super cheap grocer I saw a bag of mikan (mandarin oranges) for only 550yen. This was a HUGE bag, with at least two dozen mikan. Normally, a bag barely have that size would be about 400 yen or so. However, when I went back there today after class, the bags were all gone! Instead I bought a bunch of bananas, not just five or six, but literally a bunch of bananas for 250 yen. With bananas, sometimes you can get the value bag with three to five bananas for 90-150 yen, and if they ever sell single bananas, they are usually about 60 yen. I have probably a dozen medium-small bananas now, and most of them are perfectly ripe. There was also a pack of apples, two for 100 yen. Apples seem to be generally expensive. A single value apple will still sell at 150 yen, so of course I bought two of these 100 yen double packs.

(Huge bunches of bananas for only 300 yen, the night before I bought them for 250yen!)

Later, during dance practice I felt a bit sluggish. I wasn’t very motivated to go today, but I’m not sure if that’s partially because of the weather or if it’s just a mood. I went anyway and practiced for a bit before it felt like I pulled a muscle in my leg. Not sure why it happened all of a sudden, but maybe I didn’t warm up enough. I was also practicing handstands a bit, so I was stretching the one leg a lot more than usual. Who knows, it doesn’t feel that bad. I’ll just stretch more next time.


DECEMBER 11

Mikan flavored melon pan (a sweet bun that looks like a cantaloupe) is delicious!!! Usually on Wednesdays, Joy and I stop in the Mini Stop to grab a melon pan between first and second period. Today, on my way to school I stopped by Maxvalu and they had mikan flavored melon pan. The top layer is crusted with orange flavorings. It made up for the bag of mikan that I was unable to buy yesterday.

After second period, we all headed to the drama classroom to eat lunch. By chance I ran into Yuya, one of the poppers from BPM. He asked if I was going to Toyohashi tomorrow, and I said ‘Yes’ without really knowing what was going on in Toyohashi. I messaged another one of the members, Gakki, to find out what was going on. It seems as though they are going to have a little party in honor of the seniors who will be graduating in March. In place of usual club activities, the party will go on tomorrow, Thursday night, until morning. I’m looking forward to being able to hang out with BPM again outside of practice. Though I am friendly with a lot of the members, I’ve never hung out with them in such a large group before. I think it’s worth losing sleep over again, haha.

DECEMBER 12

It was an easy-going, event-less morning. No one was practicing in Nagoya that afternoon, so I simply waited until 4pm to meet Gakki. Together, we boarded the Meitetsu train for Toyohashi. She’s told me before that she is going to study abroad in California for the month of March, so I had her practice speaking English with me. Somehow we got on the topic of jokes and humor. I’m not a skilled joke-teller, nor do I know that many jokes off-hand, which made trying to explain American jokes to her interesting. I taught her the ‘Interrupting Squid’ knock-knock joke, which was the extent that my brain could explain. I wish I could have seen us from the other passengers’ point of view, randomly speaking in English and Japanese, and then throwing our hands in each other’s faces.

Once we arrived in Toyohashi, we jumped onto the Atsumi Line (the local train line). It was a few stops out to the nostalgic Aichi Daigaku Mae (in front of Aichi University). My memories of the campus came flooding back to me, nothing had changed, save we were looking at the campus at night.

The party was held in the building across from the student union; the same building that I had looked at with awe as dancers practiced in the studios across from the dining hall. It’s amazing how all these little things are tying together. I never could have imagined standing in those same studios, celebrating our senior members. Half the studio was lined with blue mats to keep the floor clean from eminent spills. There were a variety of snacks, sodas and tea, and some 3% alcoholic drinks, or ‘juice’ in my opinion. The seniors all gave quick little speeches, one by one. One of the seniors gave a long speech that sometimes seemed to be going on tangents. However, as he spoke, our current club leader was crying. That had a big effect on the other members, too. As I listened more carefully, the words and the stories became more meaningful. They had gone through so much together, and whether it was hard or not, they did it together. It doesn’t matter if they are the best, as long as they keep trying.

I am going to keep trying. I wish that now, more than ever, I had come to AIDAI sooner and joined BPM. These people, the upperclassmen, are the same age as me, but I respect them and look up to them as if I really was a new freshman member. From now until March I hope I can get to know them better, and that starts tonight.

The speeches were done, and the party started again. Drinking games continued on into the night. Those of us who didn’t drink found places to dance in the hallways, and in the open half of the studio. Yuta played DJ most of the night, playing off various tracks for the bboys and the poppers. At one point, Koudai and I took over for some karaoke, which gave rise to a whole different party vibe in the studio as others started to request songs to sing. As they sung on, a small group of us went down to the convenient store near the campus for ice cream and snacks. The night pressed on in good spirits, but around 3am many people began to nod off. Those that stayed awake, myself included, played a mystery game called Jinro. Each player assumes a character and each round they try to figure out who is Jinro, or the werewolf. If they can’t guess correctly, the player rolls change and some are killed off. The person who is Jinro doesn’t want to be discovered, so they hide their identity and try to convince other players that they are something else. It was my first time playing the game, and I’m fairly sure that I still don’t know how to play it well.

DECEMBER 13

Last night turned into another all-nighter straight into a Friday morning class. A few of the other students and I caught the first train from the station around 6:30am. A few of the freshmen girls and I ended up on the same train back to Nagoya together. They had brought a change of clothes, so they looked fresh for the day. I, on the other hand, didn’t know what to expect so I was going home in the same clothes. They were still clean, but they smelled a bit like smoke. We arrived in Nagoya around 8am, which meant there was no time to go home and change. Thankfully, I didn’t have to prepare anything for class today, so I went as I was. As per usual, once class was over, it was back home for a nap.

A few weeks ago I made plans with my host sister to go to a sendo, bath house. A sendo, is similar to an onsen (hot spring), but it is of course all man-made and in the city limits. It was going to be my first trip to a public bath house. I’m glad she invited me almost a month in advance, because in a way that gave me time to mentally prepare myself. As someone who grew up in a culture based on modesty, the idea of being naked around other people was nearly incomprehensible.

But, it was just a culture thing, right? It’s a tradition that goes back many centuries. It’s normal. Though that idea itself is interesting because many Japanese people are very aware of their personal space, yet when it comes to hot springs or crowded trains, they meld with the situation.

The sendo we visited was just a few subway stops from Nagoya Station at a place called Higashi Betsuin. From the outside, the location looked like a pachinko parlor, but maybe that was because it was right next to one. The first floor was actually a little cafe restaurant. The second floor was the entrance to the sendo itself. After passing the reception desk, we walked into a large lobby with various entertainment and relaxing stations. One could read manga, or watch TV, or sit in massage chairs; all the luxuries for only 700 yen. From the lobby, there was a grand staircase that led up to the changing rooms, where the women and men would be separated.

Don’t let your face show you’re uncomfortable, or they will notice. That was my mantra for the day. I just went through the motions in my own little bubble of a world. We undressed and put our things in a locker, save for a small towel to cover our privates. Once I realized everyone was just minding their own business, enjoying their own little bubble, and then I started to relax. We tried each bath, from the hot tub, to the sauna, then up to the top floor for an open bath, much like a natural onsen.

After the initial bath experience we changed back into our clothes and went down to the first floor to eat dinner. I became very sleepy. My host sister went back into the baths again, but I was more content to sit in the big pillow chairs and watch TV. I think going from bath, to dinner, to a comfy seat was the most relaxing experience I’ve had in a long time. I could have fallen asleep right there.

The night wasn’t done however. When I finally gathered up the energy and motivation to grab my things from the locker room, my host sister was also done with her rounds of bathing. We went back to Nagoya station and caught the tail end of Open Mic Nite at the Heart n’ Soul Cafe. It was literally the last 10 minutes, but we had the chance to see two wonderful performances and sample the green tea smoothies. My timing is never that great, but hopefully we can go to the next Open Mic Night.


DECEMBER 14

BIG BANG CONCERT!!

Today was my first concert ever! To be honest, I didn’t actually plan on going to a concert, but actually, the sister of a friend of mine invited me a couple months ago. The tickets were a lottery, so I didn’t actually know that we were going until a couple weeks ago. Joy, Rachael, and Chi (one of the German exchange students) are also going, but we will all be in different sections.

The doors to the concert venue would not open until 4pm, but when we arrived at 10am there was already a significant crowd. For those of you who don’t know, BIG BANG is a Korean Pop band. My friend Lynnette would have died to come to this concert and see them live. Since she could not be there, I made a point to get her some merchandise. My friend’s sister, Ai, and her mom who also came, also wanted to buy some of the concert goods so we arrived at the venue at 10am. We thought it was early enough, but it took us two hours in line to reach the merchandise. I bought a sports towel, tote bag and earrings for Lynnette. It was a little expensive in my opinion, but it was the least I could do. The ticket for the concert itself was also 9500 yen.

To my surprise, and relief, I was treated to lunch. The venue, the Nagoya Dome, was right across from an Aeon mall, so we went to a buffet there, and then killed time until the venue opened. We ran into Joy, Rachael, and Chi for a bit, but once we entered the concert hall I was back with my friend’s family. Our seats were a bit far back, but they were just off center, so we had a great view of the concert overall. One of the things that you can only appreciate by going to a live concert in Japan is the crowd’s synchronization. Almost everyone had a light-up wand, made specifically for that’s concert’s performers. As the concert goes on they all bop and wave their wands with the music.


I have mentioned before that I have bad timing, due to their being different rhythms in one area. In this case, while everyone is bopping their wands at a steady 1-2-3-4 pace I had a tendency to follow the flow of the music more, which often varied from the standard. It was fun though and we stood up for the whole concert, which only made me want to dance (not enough room). That was my only unmet hope at the concert, I would have liked to see more dancing in the performances, but I understand that’s harder to do when the music is live. I’m not sure if I would pay for the same giant concert experience, but I can say that I have more respect for BIG BANG’s members now. I know how hard it can be to pull together a performance like that—well, theoretically I know. Just for the whole experience itself, I’m glad I had the chance to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment