Friday, August 8, 2014

STUDY ABROAD: WEEK 49 (Final)

AUGUST 3

This is is… the final stretch of the journey. I headed back to Nagoya this morning to join the others for lunch of our favorite Naan Curry, and also to grab round six of luggage. This time I had two full bags, my orange bag, and a large black luggage from Jason. He didn’t need it to go home, because he had sent most of his things home in boxes. Thankfully, I was able to make the trip with Takahiro’s help. Just one more trip and it should be done. To think, if I had asked a friend with a car to help, it may have only been one trip…


AUGUST 4

With the bulk of my property now at my new apartment, it was time to properly unpack and give some sense of order to the piles that spot my living room floor. It took my all day, but for having no furniture, it doesn’t look too bad. Still no fridge, washing machine, futon, shelf or anything, but I plan to buy those after I come back from America. Four more days! Crazy! I wish the others didn’t have to go home, but at least I know I will be back. I am looking forward to seeing my family, some friends, and to eating all of the things that I haven’t had the chance to eat in this past year. But, even so, I don’t want to go. If there was a way to bring all those things to me, then it would be a perfect world.


AUGUST 5

I went back to Nagoya, once again. This time it was primarily to help the other students with their final room checks. We stored their luggages in my room and went to eat at Naan Curry for the last time together. After that, it was already the evening so we hung out for a while before they decided to sleep. They were all heading to the airport early, so the group split and I gave up my floor and bed to them. In the meantime, I went to dance in the Naka District for what I knew would be the last chance I could do so for some time.

Later, when I returned, I found myself locked out of my room until I had to call on the intercom from the first floor. This was our last night together, sleeping with my newfound family, before saying farewell.


AUGUST 6

In the end, I didn’t go to the airport with everyone. I woke up, hugged them all good-bye and walked them to the station, but that was all I could have done. Even if I had gone, I couldn’t have stayed until the last person left because I had one last day of training today. Maybe it was best no to over-dramatize our farewell. I will see them again, maybe in Japan, maybe in Hawaii, or France. This is just the end to another chapter.


AUGUST 7

Yesterday I took the last round of luggage down to Okazaki, so this morning I returned to an empty room for my final check. There was no problem, as expected. I paid for the water and electric bill, turned in my keys and ID, and suddenly I was homeless in Nagoya. Homeless, but not friendless. There was still half a dozen of the Chinese and Taiwanese students remaining for the next 6 months. We ate lunch together at SUSHI-RO, and then there nothing else to do but return to Okazaki and start my own preparations to return home.



AUGUST 8

In a few hours, I’ll be on a plane back to the States. It’s all over, the study abroad, my adventure in Nagoya. When I come back, it will the beginning of a new life, a whole new adventure to look forward to. The best way for me to show appreciation for this experience is not to look back with want, but to march on with hope and purpose. Hope that I can see my international family again, and soon, and with all the intention of making that happen. I have been training for a few months now, and I can look towards my job with confidence. I’m not simply teaching English to stay in Japan, but I want to teach. I want to share my experiences with others, and encourage them the same way that my teachers and professors have encouraged me. I have something to give now, a purpose.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment