Saturday, February 4, 2017

Walking the Old Tokaido (1)

I have an announcement!

This March, 2017, I am going to go on an adventure. I wanted to challenge myself and do something within my own capabilities - by my own power. As I am living in Japan, I wanted to do something not too far from home (Nagoya) but it had to be something that had a clear start and finish.

At first I thought, okay I'll do a marathon, it's physically challenging and I can train for it. But a few things turned me off to the idea - running around the city doesn't really get me anywhere, and more importantly I didn't want to possibly injure myself. My legs get enough abuse from dancing, and with even running 3-5km/day I could feel the tension in my knee and ankle. That meant it had to be something with a lower impact... like walking.

This idea occurred to me last summer, and it was by perfect chance that I saw a Japanese TV Program (YOUは何をしに日本へ?) that featured a woman from Australia who was traveling across part of Japan on the Old Tokaido Road. It seemed like the perfect idea, and after a couple weeks of contemplation I settled on the idea in August.

Since then I've been planning on and off, mapping my route, and "training" by getting used to long distance walking. Now there is less than a month left and the real preparation begins!!


Tokyo (Nihombashi) to Osaka (Koraibashi), 516km, estimated 20+ days.
*the original route is 53 stations to Kyoto, but since I'm already walking forever, I decided to added 4 more stations to reach Osaka :)

No comments:

Post a Comment