Saturday, May 31, 2014

STUDY ABROAD:WEEK 39

MAY 25

If only I didn’t have homework, or the need to eat, then I could have slept all day. At least Mark was going to keep me company when I headed out to the Daiso. First, however, I went to Jason’s room to return his forgotten items. I couldn’t remember which room he lived in, but I knew it was on the second floor. As I was messaging him I noticed there was a door propped open with flip flops, similar to the ones Jason wears. In mid-message confirming that I could come in, I went to open the propped door, just as its resident came to close it. We made eye-contact, long enough for our holds on the door to become awkward. I noticed he was trying to pull the door shut, so I quickly jumped back and apologized. I had almost walked into a stranger’s room, I was that tired. A few seconds later, Jason opened his door on the opposite side of the hall. If only he had done so a bit sooner.

MAY 26

I had a feeling it would rain today.

During lunch Joy and I met with the two or three students from the seminar class that still come to eat lunch with us. We decided that this Thursday we would go check out the futsal club because Joy didn’t have to work. That was fine with me, even though I suppose BPM is having a mock battle on Thursday also. I don’t have a partner lined up or anything, so there’s no pressure for me to show up. Besides, I haven’t been able to play with Kaori and the other guys on Saturdays since February— I needed to just run around and kick a ball.

As I said, the rain came, and it was a drenching rain. Nevertheless, we were determined to go eat somewhere after international cafe. Lai and I walked back to the apartments together; she had her bike and the umbrella, but in the end I volunteered to carry at least the umbrella since at her height it kept hitting me in the head. Not more than two minutes after it was in my hand the wind turned it inside out and broke one of the spokes. That is precisely why I don’t carry umbrellas. In any case, when that happened, she tried to hold up the broken umbrella over herself so I walked the bike. I was being a “gentleman”, which made me even more uncomfortable since she was holding onto my arm as well. That was just being nice and doing the write thing.

By the time we got back to the apartment, we were both drenched. That and we passed the udon shop we hoped to eat at on the way, only to find it was closed. A quick change of plans and we met up with the others at Manchinken, the ramen place across from 7i. Finally, I could try the ramen for myself, and it was delicious, just as I hoped, it was perfect after a cold rain.


MAY 27

Aside from working on manga today, Jason and I also practiced for our Business Japanese midterm tomorrow. For the midterm, there is no written test, we are only expected to rehearse and perform accurate role-plays based on the conversations we practiced in class. This is one of my skills, so even though I don’t know all the vocabulary perfectly, I can memorize lines and play them. However, since we didn’t practice until the evening I couldn’t go to dance practice. Midterms come first in this case.


MAY 28

Yeah… so that whole “test” I was talking about yesterday persists. The first part of class was a listening quiz, unrelated to our midterm test. Then, our professor gave us time to practice before starting the actual test.

The class was divided between International Students (students who were attending the University as normal students on a 4-year program) and the Exchange Students (students who would only be at the University for six months to a year). She started the tests with the International Students, of whom there were six. ‘A’ would play the student, or the lower role, and ‘B’ would play the teacher, or other superior role. Then ‘B’ would become ‘A’ and the next student on the list would become the new ‘B’. During that time, the other students would peer review their performances. In that form we completed the International Students and started on the Exchange students. I was second on the list, so I was Gi’s ‘B’ partner when time ran out. I was half done, half done! Now I have to wait until next week to finish my midterm. At least I will be the first done.



MAY 29

Last night I packed a huge bag of clothes that I don’t need any more to take to Book-Off. Supposedly we can exchange them for some money, depending on the quality and brand, etc. I wasn’t expecting more than 300 yen. Mark and Margeaux also joined me with their own bags of unwanted items. Many of Mark’s clothes were ones that he bought this past winter and would not need in Hawaii. He got less than he wanted for the amount, but I on the other hand made 600 yen! That was double what I expected.

From there we all went our separate ways. By chance I happened to run into Rachael, Joy and Aurianne as they stopped outside Café de Crie for lunch. With my hard-earned 600 yen I bought a delicious roast beef sandwich. They were on their way to find the Kobe honey exhibition somewhere in Sakae. I took Rachael’s place as she headed to work, and then the three of us headed toward the Tokyu Hands in Sakae where it was advertised to be on the 6th floor. It was not. It was actually quite a pain to find, but after asking the right people and being directed to the underground shopping area we found the honey. Apparently, when they had gone to Kobe over spring break, they had found this honey and fell in love with it because there was so many flavors.

They had only wanted to find the place today, but they really intended to return tomorrow with Rachael, who was the most zealous to buy the honey. With the mission successful, Joy and I headed back to the university to play futsal with Shogo and Chiharu, also from the seminar class. I can’t explain how good it felt to just run and really stretch out my legs. I was using different muscles than usual, so of course I became a little winded, but Joy and I had a great time. Joy and I always made a point to play on opposite sides since we didn’t know the other members, at least we could compete with each other. It was very interesting to play with just the girls, too. Many of them are still first or second year students, so they have a tendency to move in flocks. Joy and I ran the most during those games.

I went from doing something wonderful and healthy, to going to a tenpura party. Deep fried, though lightly battered, goodness of all kinds, thanks to our cooking mama: Rachael. Chicken, pumpkin, zucchini, carrots, chocolate, bananas and more were consumed over the course of the night. Taigen also came so four of the ‘cool kids’ were able to hang out and talk until morning once again.

MAY 30

No class this morning, but I didn’t sleep in much either! I’m making progress.

It goes without saying that I spent the day inking pages, and then erasing, and then toning some of the pages digitally. The reason why we didn’t have class today was because tomorrow we are going to have our ikebana experience. We can’t bring them home, which is a shame, but I’m ready to challenge ikebana again!

MAY 31

Our class all met together outside of the library just before 9am. The discussion rooms had all been opened up to create one large room. Three ikebana teachers had come to help us with our experience. They guided us through the three main steps, and also provided meanings for certain flowers.

Since there was so many of us, we could only sit two to a table, and each person received a prepared set of flowers that worked well together. For some people that included branch-like flowers and even long grass-like stems. I was lucky enough to receive the set with the lilies, one of my favorite flowers if I had to choose.

I followed the teacher’s advice through the first three main steps; the mother, father and child branches are one way to describe them. This time I was incredibly pleased with my creation. I followed the aesthetic rules and my own instincts to create a unique, somewhat tropical feeling piece of art. When we had to present our ikebana and describe the theme, I compared it to my current growing experience. Many of the students were able to create nice pieces of work, and love seemed to be a common theme. Some people even used avant-garde ideas in their designs.

In the end, ten of our pieces could go on display in the library or in the international center. I volunteered to have mine on display in the library, out in the common room, where at least I could see it every day when I come in. It was actually placed near the entrance at first, but then they moved it up to the second floor somewhere… no one goes up there. I’ll have to go hunt it out and take a picture this coming week.



([untitled] May 31, 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment