Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 09 - Aichi University, Never Go Hungry


This morning, I woke up to another amazing breakfast. I don't know if it was because I was their guest, or if this was a regular thing, but there was yogurt and an omlette, and juice, and a tiny salad and even little fresh made buns. As usual, I was full very quickly, but I had to clean my plate. I wonder if that made me seem hungry... since... I don't know. In any case, today my host mom and I left together. We went down to the back of the building where the parking garage is. Unlike our parking garages in America, this one was tailored to the occupants of the apartment. Each car had their own space, but! It was set up more like a car elevator. One would simply park their car, close the door, and it gets raised or lowered to its storing location. Really cool!

Anywho, she drove me to Aichi University, our meeting palce for the day. Our group assembled, brought by one family member or another, and then headed off to meet the Aichi students. We all received a packet with our group members names, so we had all of five seconds to search the room and try to spot them before we introduced ourself in front of the group. After which we quickly were separated into groups for some small talk while our supervisors prepared an activity for us. Seeing that one of my group members was actually an exchange student from South Korea, I couldnt help but bring up Kpop :D It was a pretty good ice breaker~

Our activity was to put together a craft!  Following the craft, we had free time with our groups, so we started with lunch. Initially there was only three members of my group (of 8) that showed up, then all of a sudden everyone was there! With lunch! Bentos! For me!? (oAo) Shock. Each of them made a little dish, so I had all kinds of food from friend chicken, to sushi, to veggie things. And it was all delicious. Now I was double full, but incredibly grateful. A few of the members then went to class, while the others took me around campus. We went to the English club first; they had LIFE (the board game) but they had never played it because they didn't know how. So we spent a good hour or so playing that, with my translation attempts slowly guiding the process.

After playing LIFE, my group changed again~ We went to Holiday Park which has a movie theater, arcade, and mall. At first we went into the arcade area and did PuriKura in the fancy photobooths. I was not used to it so in half the pictures... well, see for yourself:

When you're done with the pictures you have the chance to decorate them and add effects outside the booth. Again, it takes a bit to get used to. :P

On the second floor of this fine establishment there was a bowling alley! It was probably the best I have ever bowled (not on the Wii), and I had the chance to share some beginners knowledge with my two group members. The only reason I had any idea is because my parents used to bowl ALOT. We only played one game because we were running out of time. We hurried back to campus where the welcoming party was being held. A party with more food. My goodness. I think there was cheesecake, it was delicious. <3

My host sister, Sakiko, came to walk me back to the apartment. Before I left, I breifly met one of the other host parents (Victor's?); somehow we got on topic about Chinese, which was when I realized, "hey! I know what you're saying, but I can't elaborate on my reply, so...fail". She was really nice though and we had a good conversation.

Holiday Park turns out to have the Steakhouse we ate at on Monday. The waiter looked a lot like Tanaka Koki. I was happy. The end.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment