Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 13 - We Leave For Kyoto


Today was the day that we were going to leave Toyohashi and go to Kyoto. It was a very strange feeling to be leaving my host family, even though we had barely spent a week together, they made me feel really comfortable and I think with more time we could have become better acquaintances. As we left the platform with our families and headed for the shinkansen (bullet train) platform. As we waited for the train a new government official of Toyohashi came to see us off. Apparentely, he had studied in America for a year in highschool so he new a little more English. We briefly talked: when I said that my name was "Hara" (In Japanese) and he asked if I was related to Dr. Hara which was clearly a joke. After that it was hard to hear what he was saying as the train pulled in and took over the sound waves.

The train came and went and then we were in Kyoto. It was raining and by the time we made it to our hotel I think a lot of us were tired. I know the first thing I did was take a nap for a couple hours.

With a little daylight left we went exploring and found a shopping center down the road and across the bridge. As far as I was concerned I had finished most my shopping in Tokyo, so I wouldn't be buying much here. I bought pasta shrimp from Family Mart for dinnerand spent the rest of the evening watching TV and planning our week.

No comments:

Post a Comment